Just as an observer in several health clubs, I rarely see anyone drinking water. It’s ironic that these exercise enthusiasts are sweating to attain good health yet not drinking enough water while exercising can ultimately give them kidney stones.
The number of people in the United States with kidney stones has been increasing over the past 30 years. In fact, the number nearly doubled since 1997. There are other health problems from not drinking enough water.
Limited Water Intake Symptoms
Limited water intake can cause dry coughs, bronchitis, dry skin, acne, nose bleeds, urinary tract infections, constant sneezing, sinus pressure, and headaches and the above-mentioned kidney stones.
Benefits of drinking water when you exercise.
- Water with Lemon. Besides quenching your thirst after a workout, lemons have a high concentration of citrate which naturally inhibits kidney stone formation. If you can’t drink water, drink lemonade.
- Metabolism Boost. Drinking cold water amps up your metabolism. Since your body has to work to warm up the water, you will be burning a few extra calories in the process.
- Your Heart. If you are drinking enough water, your heart doesn’t have to work as hard to pump blood throughout your body.
- Your Skin. If you allow your body to get dehydrated by not drinking enough water, fine lines and wrinkles deepen. Water flushes out impurities and improves circulation besides plumping the skin.
- Digestion. Water helps pass waste in the body. If you are dehydrated, your body will absorb water meant for your colon and other areas of the body. This will leave your colon dry and make it difficult to pass waste.
How You Lose Water
You lose several cups of water everyday through breathing alone . The lungs require humid air to work. The average adult loses about six cups of water a day through urination and during exercise up to four cups per hour. When these loses are added up, it’s easy to see why the body needs fluid replenishment.
Understanding why water is so beneficial to the body makes it a little easier to drink.